Welcome visitor you can login or create an account.
Shopping Cart
0 item(s) - $0.00
Your shopping cart is empty!

Paws and Pesticides, A Deadly Combination

by Dori Schwaiger

For the sake of your pets and family, please stop using chemical pesticides.

Toxic pesticides are considered an active poison. They are extremely dangerous to your health, your pets health and our environment.

Every year, thousands of domestic pets and wild life lose their lives to the ravaging effects of pesticide poisoning. Most pet lovers also enjoy gardening and the great outdoors. Little do they know what caustic ingredients are in the pesticides that are being sprayed on lawns and green areas. We take for granted that most herbicides used by gardeners or sold in stores are safe. Many name brands such as "Weed n' Feed" and "Round Up" contain the same deadly cancer causing ingredients that were found in Agent Orange. Another synthetic poison found in these two well known garden products is 2,4-D. It is also the active ingredient found in "Killex." It can cause loss of reflex in humans along with comas, kidney and liver failure. In dogs it is the number one killer causing malignant lymphomas, a form of cancer.

Sadly, just five percent of pesticides reach their target weeds and garden pest. The rest are absorbed into our earth, targeting our water supplies through a process called run off or simply just dissipates into our air. Major health damage can occur when Toxic Pesticides are absorbed through our skin, swallowed or inhaled. When not applied correctly, pesticides can settle on ponds, pools, children's toys, pets left outdoors and even drift through open windows settling on our furniture, bedding and even our floors. This deadly poison is often tracked into our homes by our shoes and pets paws.

We all face the continuing problem of toxic by-products through years of pesticide residue that is in our food supply and everyday environment. What we don't realize is how wide spread pesticide poisoning really is. These caustic chemicals are virtually used in all of our public buildings including our children's schools and play yards, restaurants, hospitals, hotels and private homes. Pesticide abuse is used in our agriculture and forest areas.

Why are Pets Vulnerable to Pesticide Poisoning?

- Pets spend most of their time close to the ground, this is where pesticide concentration is highest.

- Pets ingest most pesticides while grooming themselves. Any contact with chemicals connect with their fur and paws and is then ingested by the pet.

- Pets spend more time outside and play in heavily treated areas.

- Pets have higher absorption rates than human systems. Animals may be more sensitive and easily poisoned by conditions deemed safe to people.

Signs of Pesticide Poisoning In Pets

- Excessive drooling and foaming at the mouth.

- Loss of thirst and appetite.

- Vomiting or diarrhea.

- Immune function decline.

- Convulsions and disorientation.

- Birds and fish die due to toxic runoff in our water supply.

- Feline thyroid disease.

- Dogs contract cancer (malignant lymphoma)

What Can We Do To Stop Pesticide Poisoning?

- Adapt an alternative "green" solution for pest control.

- Enjoy your weeds and bugs. They are part of nature.

- Educate yourself about pesticides used by your HOA, Lawn Service and immediate neighbors.

- Do not allow your pets to drink from ponds or outside water sources - always keep fresh, clean water readily available.

- Leash your pets, allowing them to run free is not a good idea.

- Bathe and brush your pets often.

- Wash down your outdoor living area.

- Think Eco-conscious when dealing with your environment.

Protect yourself and your pets from synthetic pesticides by being an educated consumer and willing activist in our Eco-system.

About The Author
Dori Schwaiger is an expert author on Health & wellness, she is also an avid animal lover and very passionate about animal rights. Please visit Dori's website http://www.tophealthspot.com for more interesting articles.